“What Is A General Contractor?” is easy to understand. A construction industry general contractor oversees construction projects and ensures their safe, on-time, and compliant completion for property owners. Property owners hire general contractors to manage construction projects and guarantee successful outcomes. Let’s discover more interesting facts about this career in the article today!
What Is A General Contractor?
A general contractor is a professional in the construction industry. This person oversees and coordinates all aspects of a building or renovation project.
General contractors typically participate in projects such as residential, commercial, infrastructure, institutional, agricultural construction, or historical restoration. They can provide property owners with peace of mind, ensure the project’s success, and ultimately lead to better results for all parties involved.
What Are The General Contractor Duties?
General contractors are responsible for overseeing all aspects of the construction process. In Vietnam, the duties of a general contractor may vary depending on the specific project and the terms of the contract. But generally, here are the most common responsibilities:
- Project planning: They need to develop a detailed plan for the construction project before construction. The plan often includes a timeline, budget, and scope of work.
- Hiring subcontractors: Before construction starts, they are responsible for hiring and managing all subcontractors, including architects, engineers, and specialty trade contractors.
- Budget management: It means managing the overall budget of the project. They must ensure the project stays within budget. Negotiating with subcontractors and tracking expenses can help them achieve that.
- Scheduling: The general contractor should coordinate the work of subcontractors and handle any delays or setbacks that may arise. So that the construction project can stay on schedule.
- Safety: Controlling all relevant safety regulations and standards is one of the most important contractors responsibilities. Ensuring these factors make the construction site safe for all workers.
- Quality control: After construction, the general contractor has to check whether all work is completed to the highest standards and meets all relevant regulations and codes.
- Project closeout: They must complete all final inspections, obtain necessary permits and certifications, and hand over the completed project to the property owner.
General Contractor License Requirements
To Obtain a license to practice as a general contractor in Vietnam, a foreign contractor has to meet the following requirements:
- Foreign contractors can receive construction operation permits after successfully bidding from investors, main, or sub-contractors.
- These contractors must either form a partnership with a Vietnamese contractor or utilize Vietnamese subcontractors if the domestic contractors lack the capability for a particular work package.
- Foreign contractors must define clearly the scope, size, and value of the work performed by the Vietnamese contractor or sub-contractor in the partnership or agreement.
- Foreign contractors must abide by all Vietnamese laws related to general contracting business while operating in the country.
The Ministry of Construction will grant construction operation permits to foreign contractors. You can follow Decree 15/2021/ND-CP to prepare essential documents to get a construction operation license or look for an agency for help.
How to Hire a Good General Contractor?
When hiring a general contractor, it is important to follow a set of guidelines to find a reliable and trustworthy professional. Some steps you can take include:
- Get referrals from friends, family, and professionals in the construction industry
- Verify their licensing and insurance coverage
- Check their reputation and past performance through online reviews and references
- Get a clear understanding of their scope of work and experience with similar projects
- Obtain written proposals and compare prices, timelines, and services
- Discuss and clarify expectations, responsibilities, and communication processes before signing a contract
- Assess their professional demeanor and communication skills to ensure a smooth working relationship.
When calculating the salary of a general contractor, you will need to consider various factors such as the contractor’s experience, the scope of the project, the size of the company, and the location of the project. Some general contractors work on a fixed salary, while others work hourly or at project-based rates.
Before paying a salary, it is important to ensure that you are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including taxes, labor laws, and employee benefits. Let’s simplify the way you handle your general contractor’s salary payment with ERA’s tailored solutions for reporting payroll hours and earnings data.
How do I become a general contractor with no experience?
Becoming a general contractor with experience can be challenging but possible. The process can be time-consuming and require a lot of hard work, but you can achieve your goal with dedication and perseverance.
Firstly, you should build a strong knowledge base for the construction industry through education or training programs. Then, you can accumulate experience by working as a carpenter, electrician, plumber, or any other required skill. Start small and be confident to challenge yourself with larger projects until you are confident of getting a license.
Are general contractors worth it?
General contractors are known for securing better prices for supplies and labor, especially if they need more for future projects. A fair and positive working experience with a general contractor is beneficial for the timely completion of a construction project.
How much do most general contractors make?
In the US, a general contractor work can make from 430 to 766 million VND ($18,240 – $32,481) with an average income of 607 million VND ($25,747). A general contractor can earn different incomes based on several factors, such as experience, location, and type of projects they handle.
See more: how much do contractors cost?
In conclusion, the role of a general contractor is an important figure in the construction industry who ensures construction projects’ smooth and successful completion. If you have any questions about “What is a general contractor?”, don’t hesitate to contact us for further discussion.